My what a good sport this British Mum is. She’s not very modest-but she’s glad no one in her family was hurt. It’s worth reading this story to the very end. One can’t help but wonder how this event made it to the attention of the media.
Mother’s extra-large pants prevent house fire
www.telegraph.co.uk | 2:24am GMT 04/01/2008
A family home has been saved from fire by a mother’s extra-large Marks & Spencer pants.
‘My family could have been in hospital but the knickers saved the day’
Jenny Marsey’s nephew used her size 18-20 cotton knickers to extinguish a frying pan blaze that threatened to burn down the house.
Darren Lines, 23, grabbed the blue pants from a pile of washing, doused them in water and threw them over the pan after attempts to put out the fire with water only made the problem worse.
Mrs Marsey, 53, said: “My Â£4.99 parachute knickers have come in handy for something.”
The mother-of four added: “I think if they had been my daughter’s skimpy knickers they wouldn’t have done any good.”
The fire began when Mrs Marsey’s 18-year-old son John son went to answer the door to his cousin while frying bread in the family home in Hartlepool, Teesside.
On returning to the kitchen the found an “unreal” scene.
“The ceiling was black and there were clouds of smoke, it was like there was a tyre on fire. There was no visibility whatsoever and the extractor fan had dropped onto the pan,” he told the Northern Echo newspaper.
“First of all, I threw water on. I thought it would be okay because the electricity had tripped, but that just made it worse and it started sizzling.”
But Mr Lines then jumped to the rescue and grabbed his aunt’s pants, which eventually helped extinguish the blaze.
Mrs Marsey was out of the house at the time, and the cousins managed to clear up the mess and re-paint the ceiling before her return home.
“It could have been a lot worse,” Mrs Marsey said.
“My family could have been in hospital but the knickers saved the day. I’m just grateful to the boys.”