Mr Hayden was seriously injured by a golf ball while he was working as  a groundskeeper. Because his injuries were so grievous his family chose to remove him from life support on Thanksgiving Day.  Condolences to his family. This is sad story.

More information about Mr Hayden’s accident after the jump

The late Mr Hayden

Maurice “Teddy” Hayden
HAYDEN, MAURICE “TEDDY”, 43, of Sanford, transitioned on Thursday, November 25. A native of Jamaica, he resided in Sanford since 2008 moving from Palatka. “Teddy was a hard working family man who loved cooking and playing dominos. He was employed at the Mayfair Country Club. He is survived by his loving wife of 4 years, Evelena Hayden, Sanford; Children, Mauricea Hayden,

Akintola Maurice Hayden, Elonda English and Lil’China Davis; Father, James Hayden; Mother, Eugenie Wright; Brothers, David Hayden, Calbert Douglas, Andrew,

Magenus, Liston, Winston and Homroy Douglas; Sisters, Hayacint (Cecil) Darkins, Sarah Douglas; other relatives. Visitation: 5-8 p.m. Friday and Funeral Services 1 p.m. Saturday at Karl N. Flagg Serenity Memorial Chapel, 2400 Madison Street, Palatka. Interment will be in Oak Hill Cemetery. Please view and sign the family’s guestbook at

Flying golf ball travelling 200km/h kills man
13:30 AEST Fri Nov 26 2010 | By ninemsn staff |

A US golf course groundskeeper was killed after a ball travelling 200km/h struck him in the temple.

Maurice Hayden was carrying out landscaping work on the par 5 second hole at the Mayfair County Club in Florida when the ball hit him, the Orlanda Sentinel reports.

Police said Brian Donohue was teeing off when the incident happened. They said the golfer will not be charged.

Paramedics performed CPR on Mr Hayden on a golf cart and he was taken to hospital in a serious condition.

The 42-year-old moved to the area from Jamaica three years ago.

“He was a very, very hard-working man,” Elonda English said of her step-father.

“He was pretty much an all-around kind of guy.”

Investigators said the accident was “unfortunate”.

“[The golfer] just didn’t see the worker, and the worker didn’t see him,” Sergeant David Morgenstern said.

Mr Hayden died after his family decided to take him off life support yesterday.